So........first the ingrediants:
You can use whatever cake mix and frosting you want. We have done strawberry with strawberry frosting and dipped in white chocolate. Red Velvet with Cream Cheese frosting dipped in chocolate. The possibilities are endless. This is just what I did today.
Bake cake as usual, making sure you grease and flour the pan. This will make for easy removal from the pan.
I have a 50 year old stove and the smallest one still in existence I am sure. It is Harvest Gold, the original.
Let the cake sit for 10 minutes. Thank you dear Tony for your hands. It looks awkward? But it should help you remember 10 minutes. This is important, the cake will be cool, but still warm enough for the frosting to mix right.
If you have a pastry knife or dough cutter it is a great help, but a fork will work just as easy. I get a big bowl out while the cake is in the 10 minute cool, have my cutter available and prepare to mix!
Okay, this is the funnest part, it goes against everything you have ever done as a baker of cakes. Dump the cake into the bowl!
It is okay if it breaks, you are gonna decimate it in a minute, just get it out of the pan!
Now crumble it, bring it to the crumb stage. Where ants would be happy to carry the pieces off to their lairs. (Do ants have lairs or nest, holes, hills??)
Once you get it all crumbs, and the right consistency, that whole can of frosting is going in:
Mix well! It goes like a gooey pudding type texture.

You are done for an hour or more. Put the bowl in the fridge

I left mine over night. Why, cause I was tired and I had no one to help me roll the balls.
Next morning, I had slaves, I mean willing helpers!
Abby is not impressed with Dad's rolling ability, and I think she has an undipped cake ball in her mouth!!! Punk!
Using the palms of your hands roll til the ball is smooth and shiny. This is important or bits will fall off when you dip in the chocolate. This is a bad ball, it is not smooth, it is not shiny and it is not round.
Tony has way too much fun helping.
That is a reject ball. We continue to seek therapy for Tony! Here are some good balls. You can see they are all different sizes. When you have different people helping, you get different sizes. I'm okay with that, if they aren't the size of a golf ball!
I see a few golf balls. Here is a good close up of shiny:
Pay no attention to the shadow from my hair that needs to be cut. I put the balls back in the fridge to set for at least 30 minutes. Then get out your small bowl and chocolate! Melt as described on your package. I use a small bowl, so I don't have to chase the little balls around to cover at the end.
I don't know what those three red globs of stuff are in the back of the microwave. I am thinking over microwaved cheese, since quesadilla's are my family's main microwave choice.
Careful the chocolate bowl gets hot and the chocolate gets all over your hands.
Stir chocolate til smooth then plop a cake ball in the hot chocolate.
I use two forks, so the excess chocolate can drip off:
This is an individual technique, I try and shake and scrape from under neath to get the bulk of the excess, and then bring over to wax paper.
The chocolate bark coagulates or hardens quickly on the cooled balls. I do them all. I got a bit fancy last time and had some white vanilla bark, so I melted a few chunks and drizzled over the chocolate covered balls.
Back into the fridge to finish off the hybrid bags I made for our neighbor and the Hocker's.
I am rather excited. My dear friend, Julie. It is. she is selling at The Digi Chicks now, and has this kit Bohemian Fall by Sherwood Studio. It is beautiful.
I made these little bags and filled them with cake balls for our friends!
The girls delivered the white one to Mr. Will and his dear wife, and the Hocker's sits and waits for them to arrive!
I hope you give it a whirl, let me see the final product!























